Tomasita’s is distinctly Northern New Mexican. Our recipes have been handed down for generations, and still stand as witness the melding of cultures that together once depended on the corn, chile, beans and fruit of the area. Since 1974 the Maryol/Gundry family has maintained a commitment to the recipes and ingredients of New Mexico, making Tomasita’s the local’s favorite for almost 40 years.
Tomasita’s is now in its third generation of family ownership and is one of Santa Fe’s oldest restaurants. Founder Georgia Maryol started at a small café on Hickox Street in 1974, working with Tomasita Leyba who brought her local recipes to the restaurant. After building a dedicated clientele and outgrowing that small space, in 1979 Tomasita’s moved to the red brick building in Santa Fe’s Railyard where it still is today. While still very involved with Tomasita’s, Georgia retired from the day to day operation in 2001. From 2001 until 2010 Tomasita’s was operated by Georgia’s cousin, Ignatios Patsalis, who still serves as manager. In 2011, Georgia’s son George Gundrey took ownership, ensuring the same commitment to quality, family, and community established by Georgia and Tomasita in that tiny café 40 years ago. George also owns our sister restaurant, the Atrisco Café & Bar, and as of December of 2017 Tomasita’s Albuquerque.
In November of 2017, George opened Tomasita’s Albuquerque, bringing our traditional food and service to the people of Albuquerque. Located at 4949 Pan American West Freeway NE, Tomasita’s Albuquerque features the same great red and green chile, sopaipillas, margaritas, and other favorites. The atmosphere is casual and friendly, in the spirit of a northern New Mexican farm house.
Tomasita’s Santa Fe resides in the 100 year old red brick building that was once home to the famous Chile Line. Between 1870 and 1880 when the Wild West was being tamed, Railroads became the great connectors. The Denver and Rio Grande between Denver and the Territory of New Mexico was formed. Fondly referred to as the “Chile Line”, its seven hour run from Antonito to Santa Fe through mountain, mesa, and river valley connected villages, pueblos, towns and cultures. The D&RG was the timekeeper, the newspaper, the friend of children, and the transporter of local goods – lumber, pinon, wool, chile and fruit. Due to the decline in the demand for lumber, track on the line was greatly reduced in the 30’s. On September 1, 1941, the Chile Line left the Guadalupe Station on its last northbound run. Today the red – brick station house, constructed in 1904, still stands. It now houses Tomasita’s!