Beef is one of the most versatile of meats. It can be roasted, grilled, fried, barbecued, baked, broiled, braised, cured, dried, stewed, ground… and made into sausages. No wonder it appears on so many restaurant menus, ours included. Burritos, sopaipillas, tacos and quesadillas, can all be beef-based and of course we offer hamburgers and steaks as well. Between Tomasita’s and the Atrisco Cafe, we go through a heck of a lot of beef!
All our beef is raised by New Mexico and Southern Colorado ranchers and processed by Caviness Beef Packers in Hereford, Texas, just over the New Mexico border. Supporting local family ranchers is very important to us; we hope to you, too! The Caviness plant is one of the most modern, state-of-the-art facilities in the country. The livestock handling area is modeled after the latest designs by renowned professor and animal behavior expert, Temple Grandin. Both she and Caviness are committed to the humane handling and processing of animals, so that the cows are not stressed or agitated.
Dr Temple Grandin is an autism activist and professor of animal science at Colorado State University, who is changing the beef industry, worldwide, with her innovative designs. She is the subject of the film, Temple Grandin (available from Netflix) adapted from her own writings. Cattl
e from New Mexico and Southern Colorado are processed separately at the plant; then packaged, boxed and labeled accordingly, each box naming the specific ranch the beef came from. So, not only are we getting the best beef we can, we are also supporting local ranchers and the humane treatment of animals.
So now you have the inside story of where our beef comes from. We thought you’d like to know!
FUN FACTS ABOUT BEEF
- Americans eat more beef than any other people – about 60 lbs. per year.
- The US and Brazil are the top beef-producing countries in the world.
- In India, killing or injuring a cow can land you in jail. Hindu nations believe cows are sacred and should be respected, not eaten.
- More than 100 medicines, including insulin and estrogen, are derived from cattle.
- The hide from one cow can make 20 footballs.
- Beef is a rich source of protein, zinc, iron, potassium, vitamins B6 and B12
- Disneyland (CA) sells over 4 million hamburgers each year.
‘A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.’
Mitch Hedberg, comedian.